On average, heating oil burns about 16% more efficiently than gas.††
The Facts About Oil vs. Gas Heating
We want to share the facts about oil heat and gas, to help you make the most informed decision in choosing the provider you can trust for all your home comfort needs. There are many reasons why choosing home heating oil is a better decision than converting to another fuel source.
Click here to view video from AEC on the effects of natural gas ›
Heating oil is safe
- Fuel oil is not explosive and heating oil only ignites by an advanced burning system within an oil-burner or furnace
- Inhalation of fumes is not fatal -- unlike gas, which is known as 'the silent killer' and is the leading cause of death from carbon monoxide poisoning in the U.S. -- there's a low possibility of carbon monoxide entering the home from oil**
- System malfunctions produce clear warning signs like smoke, odors or even soot before releasing carbon monoxide, gas heating systems give you no warning of carbon monoxide production or release
Heating oil is clean and environmentally friendly
- Over the past 20 years, the sulfur content of heating oil has been reduced by over 93%* and today's heating oil is 95% cleaner than it was in 1970
- Oil burners emissions have been reduced to near zero levels, reducing overall emissions by 95%*
- In 2004, Oil and Energy issued a report that heating oil is more environmentally friendly in terms of emissions
- When properly adjusted and maintained, new oil heat systems create absolutely no soot, dirt or odors in the home*
Heating oil is dependable
- Heating oil allows you to control your own personal oil supply - stored on your own property plus you choose how to use and conserve your supply as you need it
- We have never run out of oil and as an automatic delivery customer, you'll always have a supply
- Some areas may only have a single natural gas provider. Our technicians and customer service teams all live and work where you do, so you enjoy better customer service and more local options.
Heating oil is more efficient than gas
- On average, heating oil burns about 16% more efficiently than gas††
- Efficiency ratings of new oil heat appliances range from 83% to 95% and can have an average life expectancy of 30 or more years if they are properly maintained vs. the average life expectancy of a gas furnace of 11-14 years
- Heating oil equipment upgrades to a more energy-efficient system pays for itself over a short time, adds value to a home and provides more efficient residential warmth than gas
- The hot water recovery rate of an oil-fueled water heater is twice as fast as a gas water heater and three times as fast as an electric water heater
- Oil creates 140,000 BTUs of heat per gallon while a gallon equivalent of Natural Gas produces 100,000 BTUs (Source: www.cityfuel.net)
- You burn approximately 40% more natural gas to receive the same heating equivalent as heating oil (Source: www.cityfuel.net)
Switching from oil to gas can cost up to $9,000†
- Gas heating conversion, involving tank abandonment or removal, plumbing, electrical, chimney work and ducting could run as high as $9,000†
- The Consumer Energy Council of America (CECA) recently stated "it's financially unwise for consumers to convert from oil to gas heat."
- Oil heat is provided by many companies, all actively engaged in a highly competitive industry
- Gas heat is provided by one big utility – with no choice and no competition
Heating oil has traditionally been cheaper than natural gas.
- Yes, times are quite challenging now with the rise of oil prices but did you know that, depending on where you live, the cost of heating oil has traditionally been cheaper 5 out of the past 7 years, or more depending on what state you live in
Oil supplies can meet demand:
- Despite global unrest and natural disasters, there is still an abundance of long lasting crude oil and world oil reserves
- No dependence of one nation or region for oil supplies, the U.S. is the world's third largest oil producing country – half of petroleum resources are domestic and our largest supplier of crude oil outside the U.S., is Canada
Rising energy costs
It's not only oil prices that are affected by this trend, all energy costs are rising – including gas! We're just as concerned about this as you are, which is why we provide a range of flexible financing and payment options to help spread your annual energy costs throughout the year.
As your trusted partner we can provide you with the most energy-efficient equipment and programs you need to help you save on home energy costs.
Click here for more industry information and facts ›
For more information about oil heat and your choices, check out this fact-filled website: "Energy Answers Today" ›
*Source: Oil Heat Powered By Clearburn Science. The Clear Choice! NORA (National Oil Heat Research Alliance)
** Source: Energy Answers Today Pocket Guide by Primedia www.energyanswerstoday.com
† Source: Energy Answers Today - Your Guide to Economical & Efficient Home Heating Brochure by Primedia
†† US Department of Energy and the Gas Appliances Manufacturers Association