Home heating oil: it is a great value
Oil prices are continuing to be volatile and we know that’s challenging for you. We take our role as an energy savings partner very seriously, and want to share important information with you because even when energy costs seem high, heating oil is still a great value as your main heating source.
The facts speak for themselves! Rising energy costs are not just limited to oil, but there are many reasons why 9.5 million American homes and families use heating oil over gas to keep comfortable.1
Resist the impulse to convert to other fuel sources and check out these facts:
|Converting to gas is costly
- A total gas heating conversion could run as high as $9,000! Converting will NOT save you money.2
- It’s financially unwise for consumers to convert from heating oil to gas heat according to the Consumer Energy Council of America (CECA).
|Heating oil is a good value
- Heating oil prices dropped 23% during the 1980s and 1990s. More recently, prices for other goods and services have risen much more than the price of heating oil.
- Even with rising energy prices, the cost of heating oil has traditionally been cheaper in 5 out of the past 7 years!
|Heating oil, like other forms of energy, is a commodity traded on the open market, so you can expect ups and downs in its price. However, competition among thousands of oil heat companies plays a role in ensuring great value and service, which you can always count on us to deliver.
|Heating oil is clean and dependable
- Oil heat burns 95% cleaner now than in 1970 and the latest ultra-low sulfur products and biofuels, which we offer, continue to make it even cleaner and greener.
- Residential heating oil equipment is environmentally-friendly and barely creates emissions.
- New oil heat systems don’t create soot, dirt or odors in the home when properly maintained.
- Oil creates 140,000 BTUs of heat per gallon while a gallon equivalent of Natural Gas produces 100,000 BTUs.3
- Approximately 40% more natural gas needs to burn to receive the same heating equivalent as oil.4
|Heating oil is more energy efficient
- Oil equipment is 16% more efficient on average than gas equipment.
- New systems boast energy-efficiency ratings from 83%-94%! 5
- Oil heating systems today use 25% less fuel than they did 20 years ago.6
- The hot water recovery rate of an oil-fired water heater is twice as fast as a gas water heater and three times as fast as an electric water heater. And, oil heat provides more efficient residential warmth than gas.
|Heating oil is safe.
- Inhalation of oil fumes is not fatal — unlike gas, which is known as “the silent killer” and is the leading cause of death from carbon monoxide poisoning in the U.S.7
- Oil is not explosive and only ignites within the combustion chamber of an oil-burner or furnace. Plus, oil will not burn in a liquid state.
- Oil system malfunctions produce clear arning signs before releasing carbon monoxide.
|It’s true — the best choice for warmth, reliability, energy efficiency, safety and value is oil heat.
1 Source: Oil Heat Powered By Clearburn Science. The Clear Choice! NORA (National Oil Heat Research Alliance).
2 Source: www.houselogic.com/articles/should-you-convert-oil-gas-heating
3 Source: www.cityfuel.net
4 Source: www.cityfuel.net
5 Source: www.cityfuel.net
6 Source: National Oilheat Research Alliance, America Petroleum Institute
7 Source: Energy Answers Today Pocket Guide by Primedia www.energyanswerstoday.com